The Northeast Georgian’s ‘Jack-O’-Lantern Journal’ returns this Halloween
With Halloween, Oct. 31, fast approaching, The Northeast Georgian is bringing back its “Jack- O’-Lantern Journal,” complete with photos of “Boo-tiful Babies” and “Spooky Pookies,” Halloween safety tips and, of course, our “Scary Story Contest.”
The “Scary Story Contest” is always popular among students, and a real treat for us to judge.
Cash prizes will be awarded in the following four age divisions: grades four and five, grades six and seven, grades eight and nine, and grades 10-12.
Winning authors of each category in the “Scary Story Contest” will receive $25 each. An honorable mention entry will also be chosen from each division. These authors will receive $15 each.
The Northeast Georgian also welcomes participating students to submit Halloween-themed artwork with their story submissions to run throughout the “Jack-O’-Lantern Journal.”
While Habersham County students have already been invited to participate, all homeschooled children/teens eligible are also invited to submit entries based on the contest rules below.
Criteria for entering:
• Student must reside or attend school in Habersham County;
• A student may only enter one story;
• All stories/artwork submitted must include the name, age, grade, city of residence and phone number of the author or the author’s parent(s)/guardian;
• Stories must be original;
• Stories should be no longer than 500 words for all grades. Exciting short stories are encouraged;
• All stories submitted should be typed or neatly written;
• In judging entries, emphasis will be placed on creativity;
• Teachers, please select the top two stories in your classroom before submitting, and include your name on entries;
• All entries must be received by 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 19. Entries can be mailed to The Northeast Georgian, P.O. Box 1555, Cornelia, GA 30531 (must be postmarked by Oct. 19); dropped off at 2440 Old Athens Hwy., Cornelia; or sent via email to email@example.com.
All Habersham County residents are invited to submit photos of costumed “Boo-tiful Babies” and “Spooky Pookies” (pets), also to be shared in the “Jack-O’-Lantern Journal.”
High-resolution, unedited images should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 24.
For “Boo-tiful Babies” entries, each photo should include the child’s name, age and city of residence, as well as the name(s) of their parent(s)/guardian.
For “Spooky Pookies” entries, each photo should include the pet’s name, city of residence, as well as the name(s) of the owner(s).
For more information, call Editor Christina Santee, 706-778-4215.